Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

**DISCLAIMER: There might be a few offensive things in this blog today. It is only to explain what one is supposed to do or say at one of these shows. Sorry!

So I am officially 2 weekends behind on my blog - NOT OK. I have so many things I need to blog about, so many details I have forgotten, and I know my few, faithful, wonderful (I could keep going) readers aren't happy that I have taken so long! Sooo sorry! But I am back and equipped with more crazy adventures! I still will behind after this blog, but hey, I am trying!

So, basically I am going to skip over my week of classes, because nothing exciting really happened in class. I am still as lost as ever in my literature class on Thursdays - like I actually have no idea what is going on. I just read the reading, try to understand, and just let her talk her heart away while I zone out and day dream. There is an Algerian girl in my class, whose first language is French, and even SHE is lost in this class. I rest my case. For our excursion in Romantisme this week we visited a Jesuit cathedral called Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis in Le Marais (my favorite part of Paris!) before visiting the Musée Carnavalet. Usually we meet at 10:15 for our excursions, but that day we were supposed to meet at 11...so a big oops on my part I got there at 10:00, so I just walked around Le Marais, for a little bit in search of a bagel, but alas I did not find one :( I actually preferred it Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis to the actual museum. It is very worn from the outside, but the inside is absolutely beautiful, and it actually houses a somewhat controversial painting by Eugene Delacroix (! did you know that Mom??) After that, we visited Carnavalet. Like I said, I wasn't as impressed as I could have been, but I think it was because of how the museum was set up. I believe it used to be a palace, or super nice home, but it looks like they just slapped the paintings on to these walls with no order or anything. Things were crooked, everything was uneven, varying sizes. The rooms had no scale whatsoever, and being slightly OCD that bothered the heck out of me, and I couldn't concentrate on anything besides the fact everything was disproportional. The rooms themselves were really pretty, so I will give them that. Thursday night, which we have proclaimed "Movie Night", a group of us went to see the movie "La Rafle." No, it does not mean "The Rafle" but in fact "The Round-Up." It was about French Jews in Paris who were "rounded-up" during World War II and sent to a concentration camp in France. This movie was absolutely phenomenal. I didn't understand half of it, because there were no subtitles, but I got the gist of it. Absolutely amazing. Heart-wrenching (I cried I will totally admit it, and I don't usually cry in movies!) I had no idea half these things happened here in France during WWII and was shocked. I also liked how the director wasn't afraid to portray a bad side of France. Most countries do not like to publicize the mistakes their country has made in the past, especially the French. This film should honestly be up for the foreign movie Oscar, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It is not your typical (used loosely) WWII/concentration camp movie. SEE IT! (with subtitles)

Now, on to the good stuff! Friday night I went out with Ashley, Caroline, and Erin, to this very famous/touristy fondue restaurant in Montmartre. It is very well known for serving there wine in baby bottles. Yes, you heard me correctly. Baby Bottles. I have NO idea how this tradition started but everyone, young and old, love that it comes served in baby bottles! This was my first time ever having cheese fondue, so I was super excited, and it definitely did not disappoint. It was a little bizarre because of course I was expecting cheddar...but I am not in the U.S. anymore they do NOT have cheddar here. I don't know what type of cheese it was actually...they just gave us an endless amount of bread to dip into (which was bad for us, but yet soooo good) The restaurant itself is verrrrry small for being such a touristy place, we were quite shocked, and even though we made a reservation we still had to wait almost a half hour, but the wait was definitely worth it. The atmosphere was so fun, the company was amazing, and the wine and cheese was great! We were sitting next to the "currency wall" where people write messages on their countries currency and then put them up on the wall - being cheap Americans we of course had to put up a dollar bill with all of our names, as a momento (I APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THIS DOLLAR BILL PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED. It is used as an endearing/funny term, not rude or demeaning!) It was just a lot of fun and definitely a place to go if you want to do something touristy and different!

After fondue, we decided to hit the Paris night scene because we haven't really experienced it yet. We went to the 6th arrondissement to go to a bar called The Frog and Princess but it was PACKED! Like, lines out the door! So we went to the Irish Pub across the street called Temple Bar. It was crowded, but luckily we were able to at least walk in to it. Right away someone comes up to us and starts speaking in English (woo!) apparently this is a big hang out for American students. We met this guy from Ohio who goes to West Point who is one of only 2 students from his program here in Paris. I couldn't imagine coming here without the other 25 or so in my program!! I would be so lonely! Anywho, we stayed at Temple Bar, then finally made it over to the Frog and Princess bar. Overall it was a great night out with some of my favorite girls!

Saturday I decided to check out Chinatown with Courtney and Beth. It is located in the 13th arrondissement. It is nothing like the Chinatown of San Francisco or New York. Unfortunately I was not pulled in to so back room, or in some creepy basement, and offered stolen goods from ships, like Coach, Louis Vuitton, Prada, or Gucci. I wish I had been, but alas I was not. I guess I will have to wait until Florence to have my chance at that! Chinatown was a cool place besides that. We went in to an authentic Chinese grocery store and I saw things I have never seen before in my life! It was sooo interesting...and scary. I wouldn't eat half the things they were selling, but it was very cool to see. The offered shrimp flavored chips...ew? After we went to get some Chinese food. I must say, I am slightly disappointed in French Chinese food. I miss American Chinese food so much - it is verrrrry different here. The French lack a lot of flavor in their life, meaning they HATE spicy things or things with lots of different flavors going on. Chinese food here is kind of bland to fit the palettes of French people, unfortunately. That is also why there are no Mexican restaurants here. They are actually opening a Chipotle here finally! But in July...after I leave. Go figure :( Anyway, after Chinatown we rushed home to get ready for

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!! I was a "Rocky Horror Picture Show Virgin" because I, along with many in our group, have never seen Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was QUITE the experience let me tell you. The movie itself is quite interesting, but every Saturday night at this theater in Paris, these actors dress up and act the entire show out while the movie is playing. It was HILARIOUS! They first started off the show with this tribute to the Village People, I have no idea why, but why not! Nothing starts a paty like the Village People and the YMCA, Macho Man, and others! They also taught us all the lingo we have to shout when certain characters' names are said, (I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS AS WELL) but when they say "Brad" everyone in the audience must yell "Asshole" and when someone say's Janet's name, everyone must yell "Slut!" Crazy, eh? They also taught us how to do the "Timewarp" dance -so easy, I am a pro now, and willing to teach when back to the states! What they didn't prepare us for is the fact that during the 2 wedding scenes rice is thrown (I seriously had enough rice in my pockets and purse to feed me for a week!) and during the raining scene water is dumped on the audience! So besides the fact I was sopping and had rice cooking in my pockets, it was a great experience (ok I loved having rice and water tossed at me, won't lie!) I will tell you though, this was one of the most hilarious, raunchiest, ridiculous things I have ever seen in my life. They act this out EVERYWHERE around the world (seriously they showed us the "Sweet Transvestites of the World" video where they have RHPS (Rocky Horror Picture Show - see I am such a pro now I can use the abbreviation) clubs all over the world) but they are definitely more raunchy here. I mean hello, it is France. They definitely couldn't get away with half the things they did here, in the states. No way. But this was definitely an experience and totally worth the 8 euro! Overall this weekend was a MAJOR success! Sunday I did absolutely nothing but homework, homework, and more homework... I have so much work to do here, I have no idea how it all adds up! But don't worry, i am doing it Mom & Dad...ish!

Well, that is all for now, it is 2 am here (oops!) but next blog coming up is about my favorite place ever STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until then. AU REVOIR!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment